Back and spine specialists in Fredericksburg
The back and spine care specialists at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center have one goal: to return each patient to as his or her daily life as quickly, painlessly and safely as possible. Our facility is Fredericksburg, Virginia’s best choice for comprehensive spine care, offering a full range of nonsurgical and surgical treatments to relieve your back or neck pain.
The expert spine surgeons at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center find the most effective way to treat your condition using advanced tools and procedures, including minimally invasive spine surgery techniques for a faster recovery. Our treatment does not end at surgery—our team focuses on follow-up and rehabilitation to get you back to your normal activity level.
Learn more about our back and spine care services by calling Consult-A-Nurse® at (888) 685-1610.Find a spine care specialist
Why choose us for back and spine care?
Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center is proud to offer high quality orthopedic and spine care. We are committed to restoring your health and quality of life. Patients in central Virginia choose us for:
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you—Our team includes board-certified and fellowship-trained experts in spinal surgery and orthopedic surgery, along with rehabilitation professionals, who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Care throughout the journey—We are here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers rehabilitation services from licensed therapists who understand spine conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Compassionate care in a full-service hospital—If you need surgery, it is at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Spine and back conditions we treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease or wear and tear to the spinal bones (vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae) or tendons. Pain may occur in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle) or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic team and spine specialists at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your back, neck or spine condition. We treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Bone spurs—Bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease—Breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs—Ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis—Cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica—Nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis—Spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy—Narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer—Growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures—Caused by trauma, injury or arthritis
- Spine infections—Osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis—One vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries—Caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and minimally invasive treatment options
Our expert orthopedic and spine specialists evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, simplest and most appropriate treatment options. At Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, we offer nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation—This treatment techniques focuses on strengthening and stabilizing the core with therapies led by licensed professionals who understand spine conditions.
- Spinal injections—This option involves image-guided technology that delivers medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These may include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques—These techniques deliver a low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures—For example, we perform radiofrequency ablation that uses heat to destroy tissue, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain.
Advanced spine surgery
The spine surgeons at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center offer a wide range of spine treatments, including minimally invasive spine surgery techniques. Our team is able to stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones and correct deformities—all through a few, small incisions. The result is less trauma to the muscles and tissues, shorter operations, less pain after surgery and a faster recovery. Many patients are able to go home within a day or two following surgery.
We perform traditional, open and minimally invasive spine surgeries, including:
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy—This procedure removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy—This surgery removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy—This involved the removal of bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery—This procedures replaces a damaged disc with an artificial one.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty—The procedures treat spinal fractures, ease pain and restore height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement. In vertebroplasty, medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone.
- Spinal fusion—This surgery increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws.