Advanced, robotic-assisted surgery in Fredericksburg
Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center is proud to offer patients access to robotic-assisted surgical procedures using the da Vinci® Si Robotic Surgical System and the MAKOplasty® surgical system, used for minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgeries. Robotic surgical technology uses tiny incisions, much smaller than those used in traditional surgery, to insert miniature instruments and a high-definition 3D camera.
Our surgeons use robotic-surgical technologies to view a magnified, high-resolution, 3D image of the surgical site while controlling the robotic equipment, which translates the surgeon’s hand movements into precise movements to perform the operation. This allows for smaller incisions, less pain, minimal scarring and a faster recovery.
You may want to consider choosing a surgeon trained in robotic-assisted surgery if you require one of the following procedures:
- Colorectal surgery: We use the da Vinci® Surgical System for colorectal surgeries to allow for a few small incisions instead of the traditional single, large abdominal incision. We perform the following robotic-assisted colorectal surgeries: surgeries for colon or rectal cancer, diverticulitis, complex hernia, low anterior resection and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Gallbladder surgery: Our robotic surgical technology allows your surgeon a superior view of the internal organs with a higher degree of precision. This is a distinct advantage when removing the gallbladder (cholecystectomy) using "single site surgery" through one small incision, leaving little to no scarring.
- Hernia repair: Hernia repair with the da Vinci® system can be performed with a small incision through both the umbilical (belly button) and incisional (previous surgery site) leaving minimal scarring.
- Urogynecological procedures: The da Vinci® system is used to treat pelvic floor prolapse, called a sacrocolpopexy, and involves using mesh to hold the affected organ(s) in their natural positions. This kind of surgery requires the most precise and minimally invasive tools, like we have at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center.
- Urologic surgery: The precise targeting of da Vinci® system is ideal for the delicate operations required during urologic procedures, where the surgical site is often tightly confined and close to nerves affecting urinary control and sexual function. We offer prostatectomy (prostate removal), adrenalectomy (adrenal gland removal) and complete or partial nephrectomy (kidney removal)
Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery
Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center is proud to be a member of HCA Virginia's Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery. This is an award-winning, 10-facility organization spanning central, northern and southwest Virginia. Combined, this institute performs more robotic surgeries than any other health system in Virginia.