Compassionate maternity care in Fredericksburg
You are having a baby! Congratulations! The maternity services at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center were designed with you and your baby’s health and comfort in mind. Our facility offers luxurious delivery rooms, experienced and caring staff, state-of-the-art equipment and parenting classes for you and your partner.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (888) 685-1610 to learn more about our labor and delivery services.
Specialized labor and delivery services and amenities
- 10 private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum (LDRP) rooms with 24-hour family-centered maternity care
- Midwifery care for a holistic birth experience, if desired
- Low intervention birthing options, such as birthing balls, peanut balls and a whirlpool tub for pain management during labor
- Two operating suites for cesarean delivery within the unit
- Level II neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) with 24/7, round-the-clock care for premature and high-risk newborns
- Labor and delivery nurses specially trained and certified in fetal heart monitoring
- 24/7 in-house anesthesia available for pain management
- Secured unit with state-of-the-art infant security
- Pre-appointment educational meeting with labor and delivery nurse (for scheduled cesarean sections)
- Flexible visiting hours
- Private bathrooms in each room
- Flat screen televisions in each room
- Comfortable sleeping arrangement for partner
- Hospital-wide Wi-Fi
- Board-certified lactation consultant to help you learn about infant feeding and the health benefits of breastfeeding
- Social worker
- On-site birth registrar
- Mom365photos, a newborn photography service that comes to our hospital to capture your baby’s first portrait
Maternity classes and hospital tours
It is natural for expectant parents to have lots of questions before their baby’s arrival. We understand, and we are ready to help with answers on a variety of issues, from diet and exercise to breastfeeding and caring for a newborn.
We will give you the information and training you need to feel confident and well-prepared. All of our classes are free of charge and are on a rotating basis throughout each month.
- Labor Basics I and II
- Labor Express
- Baby Basics
- Breastfeeding Basics
The same maternity suite throughout your stay
When you choose Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center for labor and delivery, you are choosing a facility that has put an end to transferring mothers from labor room to delivery room to recovery room. Our large, comfortable maternity suites are designed so that most mothers are able to labor, deliver and remain in the same birthing suite throughout their entire hospital stay.
Physicians, nurses and medical equipment all come to you. This system ensures that you and your family have optimum privacy to share this very personal, intimate time together. This practice is called LDRP (labor/delivery/recovery/postpartum care).
Family-centered postpartum care
Following delivery, you will experience family-centered care that puts your baby at your bedside, 24 hours a day. Your partner or designated support person can stay with you and your baby as long as you are in the hospital.
You and your baby will receive personalized attention. At all times, your nurse will be available to provide you with care, support and education. Our method of care enables our nurses to spend more time in your room when you need coaching, encouragement or advice.
At Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, you have an experienced maternity team ready to help you with needs large or small. We are honored to be your partners in care on your special day—and for a lifetime.
Your baby stays with you
At most hospitals, the staff whisks your baby away to do tests and measurements shortly after birth, then baby stays in the nursery. At Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, we do all the necessary tests at your bedside, and your baby remains with you during your entire stay so you can bond.
Our staff recognizes that no matter how excited a new parent is to be with their baby, every new mom needs some time to recover and rest after delivery. If you prefer, our experienced team will care for your baby in the nursery so you can nap, and we will bring your little one back to you when you are ready.
Now that your child has arrived, it is time to begin breastfeeding, if that is your chosen method. The first few days of breastfeeding are key for providing the calories, antibodies and nutrients your baby needs as he or she adjusts to life outside of the womb. Skin-to-skin contact is an added benefit of breastfeeding, as it helps to regulate your new baby's heart rate, temperature and breathing.
While babies are born to breastfeed, it is a learned skill for both mom and baby. We value and recognize the uniqueness of each mother-baby couplet and are happy to provide breastfeeding support through our lactation services team. If you're child is not latching or gaining enough weight, or if you are experiencing pain or a low milk supply, our lactation consultants and pediatricians are here to help.
As a patient at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, breastfeeding assistance is provided as soon as possible after delivery and continues throughout your stay. We also provide postpartum follow-up phone calls after discharge to check on your recovery and identify potential breastfeeding challenges.