Providing knee pain relief in central Virginia
If knee pain is keeping you from being active or doing everyday activities, see a joint specialist at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center in Fredericksburg. In addition to advanced joint replacement options, we offer total joint care that starts with an expert diagnosis.
Choosing a full-service hospital for joint replacement surgery provides you access to innovative services and a comprehensive care team, all in one place. Our care continues after surgery with rehabilitation to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible. We emphasize patient education along your journey to keep you informed and empowered.
Contact our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (888) 685-1610 to learn more about knee replacement options at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center.
Types of knee replacement surgery we offer
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, resolves pain and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic (or artificial) implant made from metal and plastic.
The specialists in our orthopedic center will evaluate your goals and lifestyle, along with the extent of damage to your knee, when determining which treatment option is best for you.
- Total knee replacement: Involves all three bones (thigh, shin, and kneecap) that form the knee joint. Implants vary depending on your weight, size, and activity level. More common than partial knee replacement.
- Partial knee replacement: When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside, or front), we can spare healthy tissue and bone by performing a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also called knee resurfacing.
Minimally invasive robotic surgery
Our commitment to patient-centered care includes staying on the leading edge of medical technology to provide better outcomes. With robotic surgery, we are able to offer minimally invasive surgical techniques with customized implant solutions for patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. This results in a better fit, faster recovery and enhanced function.
Using robotic surgery for knee replacement procedures involves creating a 3D model of your knee before surgery. This allows your orthopedic surgeon to pre-plan your knee replacement surgery by determining the precise location of diseased bone and cartilage and designing the perfect knee implant for your unique anatomy.
During surgery, the orthopedic surgeon is fully in command of the robot but is able to achieve more precise movements than with traditional open surgery. This allows your surgeon to spare more healthy bone and tissue and better position the knee implant to fit your needs.
Candidates for knee replacement surgery
You may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if you:
- Experience knee pain during activity
- Feel pain even while resting
- Wake up during the night due to knee pain
- Have difficulty sitting, climbing stairs or bending down
- Have tried other treatments, such as diet, exercise and medications, without success
Why choose Spotsylvania Regional for your knee replacement surgery
We take a team approach to total joint care for patients in Spotsylvania and the surrounding areas. Our expert surgeons, nurses, physical therapists and other professionals work together for your total wellness. Patients choose us for:
- Comprehensive preoperative education: As part of our commitment to patient education, we offer an orientation class (scheduled on a per-patient basis) that gives an inside look at our facility and tells you what to expect before, during and after your knee replacement surgery.
- Care throughout your journey: We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery: We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation services and pain management programs, all under one roof.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists: Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Most of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
- Free valet parking for hospital services: To make life more convenient when you're dealing with knee pain, we offer free valet parking.